Thursday, March 29, 2007

Filipino government health funding grossly inadequate

On 3 February 2006 a Filipino blogger known as Obi Macapuno drew attention to the gross inadequacy of government funding for public hospitals in the Philippines. I take the liberty of quoting, below, excerpts from three of his paragraphs:

I am aware that health care and medicine prices are currently a hitch on the local social welfare concerns. Pero, naman! I didn't realize it is "THIS" huge a problem, na pala. I mean, I grew up on a military clan. . . . I was born on a military hospital, been operated on a military medical facility, checked by military dentists, and heck even circumcised by a soldier!

But a couple of days ago, my sis decided to stage her birth on a private hospital. Can't blame her though . . . a public hospital is still a public hospital, and don't be a hypocrite to disagree with me that it really is worrying to consult on one especially when it's the life of your children or a relative that is being dealt upon. . . .

Which brings me to my point . . . why can't most of us have that confidence on publicly-funded clinics? I, alone, can produce a long list of reasons, but one of the most upsetting items in it is the fact that most of our public hospitals are incapable to compete with the private ones. It may come to us as "normal" just because private medical bodies have the monetary strength to fund but I tell you, IT IS NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. The government has the almighty power to recruit the best medical team and provide the most advanced of medical facilities in the country that will leave private hospitals cower[ing] in comparison. BUT sadly, our government (that our heroes have sacrificed their lives to create) have more important matters to attend to . . .


Source: http://boyhalohalo.blogspot.com/2006/02/am-radio-sa-umaga.html

No comments: