Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Severely ill woman injured in motor crash must face college examiners

Tina (13:33:48): Gud a.m. Bern, I ask[ed] Laurice to get d official result of my x-ray at 2 p.m. [and also a] medical certificate to bring it in school.

Bern (20:17:48): Hello, thanks for text, hope you've survived today OK and hospital allowed Laurice to get results and certificate OK too. I'll be interested in latest news.

Tina (20:28:15): Da result: multiple physical injuries sec[ondary] to vehicular accident - contusion w/ abrasion (L) frontal area, 3cm x 3cm, abrasion (R) elbow, abrasion (L) elbow, confluent abrasion 1cm x 2cm, abrasion (R) ankle area. Result of X-ray: no definite radiologic evidence of fracture.

Bern (20:31:58): So sorry about the multiple abrasions, but it's good there's no definite evidence of fracture (broken bone). Absence of excessive bleeding probably good also?

Bern (20:34:39): I hope the college will show consideration and allow you sick leave and extensions of time because of your severe illness and injuries, but I'm not confident.

Tina (20:37:10): Bern, sad to say I have now so many bruises right now, and I suffer muscle pain. I can't walk alone without da help of other person around me coz of my ankle.

Bern (20:39:02): I'm so sorry to hear that. I thought study and exams would be too much but knowing you I'm not really surprised you went to college today instead of hospital.

Tina (20:39:48): No Bern, my sister show[ed] my medical certificate, but still I need to defend my thesis till Thursday at 9 a.m., and need to attend deliberation on Friday.

Bern (20:40:09): If your ankle swells, try to keep it HIGH, when sitting. In bed, put it up on a pillow.

Bern (20:40:37): What sort of crazy college is that? They make no allowance for illness and injury?

Tina (20:41:11): Only my sister go there I'm stay[ing] at home today.

Tina (20:47:46): Only Laurice talk[ed] to all my teacher[s] and guidance [officers] but they said I need to be in school tomorrow to do my thesis & defend it on Thursday or else my name will be erase[d] to [from] da [list of] name[s] of graduating [students].

Bern (20:49:49): That's a crazy college. What alternative arrange-ments are made for students who are too ill or too injured to take an exam?

Tina (20:54:02): They want me to defend my thesis on Thursday, and past our project till Friday, or else I need to enroll on summer and I will be graduate[d] next year.

Bern (20:55:17): I see. I don't really know what to think or say.

Tina (21:00:09): I will force my self to be in school tomorrow with 3 feet, but my problem [is] our lab room was in 2nd floor with stair[s]. I already paid my graduation expenses.

Bern (21:03:22): I see. It's not clear to me what you mean by 3 feet. I suggest you phone college admin early and request they have 3 or 4 strong men waiting to carry you up and down.

Bern (21:06:07): Incidentally, I'm starting a weblog. The college's reputation may suffer once people around the world can read how they treat their students.

No comments: