Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Plea for help


At 2:27 this morning, Tina sent me a text from the rural town of Kalayaan in the Philippines.

Tina could not sleep because the extended household in which she lives has many problems.

For the school year about to begin, supplies are needed for 5 children, at a cost 1,000 pesos each, for a total of 5,000 pesos.

A cardiologist has ordered an echocardiographic heart examination for Tina's asthmatic nephew Kian, 18 months old, who has breathing difficulties; but the family has no money to pay the 2,500 peso fee.

Last Tuesday the family removed Kian from the hospital where he had been receiving oxygen treatment. They could no longer afford his upkeep there. Oxygen is unavailable at home.

The roadside diner selling meals which Tina and the family have been striving mightily to maintain needs 2,000 pesos for the immediate purchase of stock to continue.

Tina didn't know what to do and said "Please help."

Tina also enquired how I was and hoped I was OK.

The arriving message roused me from a fitful sleep. It was depressing and I had little chance of sleeping properly afterwards. Not knowing what to do, I took a tablet to help me relax and did nothing.

Finally, at 08:14, Philippine time, I texted Tina: "It was distressing to receive your text in the early hours this morning. I'm in debt. I didn't know about school expenses. I wonder how Kian is now."

There has been no reply.

No comments: