Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Plea for help repeated


At 10:50 this morning, Philippine time, Tina sent me several more text messages.

She apologised for giving me a problem, but said:

  • The toddler Kian really needs an ECHO test so he can have the exact medicine to take;
  • To keep the eatery going, she has purchased food in the market on credit [but this debt will very soon need to be repaid];
  • The 5 kids enrolled for school classes starting June 1 don't have the necessary equipment yet. (Presumably the family want to purchase material for uniforms, among other things, and need time to have the uniforms made before school starts).

"I'm sorry, Tina, I've gone beyond all limits and must try to survive myself", I responded. "But please advise Kian's physical condition now. Is he getting enough air?"

"That's what I'm worried about", Tina said. Kian had received oxygen treatment for two days in hospital, but now, at home without it, "his skin color [is] getting back to dark". That is why the doctor had asked for an Echo test result as soon as possible. It really should have been done while Kian was an in-patient last Sunday, but the family didn't have the money for that.

"It sounds as if he improved in hospital but is becoming cyanotic* again", I said, at 11:14 a.m. "I wish some charity would pay the fee. A politician helped a bit once, didn't he?"

There was no further message.

I don't why Tina remains silent. It may be that she has insufficient prepaid mobile credit load to continue sending messages; or that she's in class at the food technology course mandated by governments; or that she's busy trying to keep the roadside cafe going; or looking after children.

* cyanotic: showing cyanosis (bluish discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes due to not enough oxygen in the blood).

No comments: