Sunday, May 24, 2009

Children hungry; sick restaurateur pleads for help


At 09:33 this morning (GMT+8), from the rural town of Kalayaan in the Philippines, Tina sent me an SMS text: "Bern, how are you? I'm not OK, I lay on bed, have fever tonsilitis, eatery close[d]; don't have capital coz payday [of credit customers] will be Thursday. Kids was hunger. Don't have yet skol [school] supply; please help."

After a 23-minute delay I finally responded: "This is distressing for me also, Tina. I'm greatly stressed financially and emotionally. I'm so sorry I don't have an answer for you now. I really need to think."

The interchange continued until 10:22:

Tina: I just serve noodles for d kids dis morning, they are asking for rice and ulam [meat and vegetables], specially Ken-Ken, Little Bern, Zedric, Kian and Renzed asking for milk. What should I do? I don't have money to buy, I'm so sorry.

Bern: I wrestle with those problems in my head but most regrettably don't have answers now. This is a crisis for me also.

Tina: I'm worried coz I'm sick, I have training tomorrow, I have prescription but I don't have money to buy medicine, d most important to me was d food for d kids and school supply . . .

Bern: I understand. I'm making this crisis known to others but don't really expect help. I don't know what else I can do.

In the afternoon Tina texted me again: "Bern, I'm very sorry to tell you, it's 3 p.m. right now, d kids was crying asking for food, dey just eat noodles in breakfast, not yet lunch, we did not eat since dis a.m., pls help us."

The time was actually 3:48 p.m.; or 5:48 in Brisbane, Australia.

"I'm so sorry, Tina", I replied. "I'm deeply in debt. Even if I had money to send, the money change offices are closed now. This distresses me but I must tell you straight."

The situation is disturbing and distressing not only for the extended family with 7 children, but also for myself. It's probably the first time ever that I've offered them no hope whatsoever.

No comments: