Monday, September 27, 2010

Mother and nephew feverish

Tina, the main breadwinner and mainstay of a poor extended family in Kalayaan, Laguna, Philippines, and her young nephew Ken-Ken are ill but without antibiotics already prescribed, and unable to afford them.

Yahoo! Messenger Icon

Image via Wikipedia

  • At 09:57   GMT+08,   from     the Yahoo    Messenger       computer program, I sent a text message to Tina’s cellphone.
  • Tina replied: she was still sick with tonsillitis.
  • Eight-year-old Ken-Ken was also ill with wounds and a fever.
  • They needed 1,800 pesos to buy antibiotics  but  could  not  afford them.

Bern:

Hi Tina, good morning. I've just re-installed Yahoo Messenger. This is just a test message to see if I can text you. I'm hoping it will work. Bern.

Tina:

Good a.m. Bern, I’m glad that I received the text from your  Yahoo.

Please help me; I have fever because of tonsillitis.

I need to buy antibiotics costing 1,200 [but] I cannot afford to buy [them].

Also antibiotic for Ken’s wounds; it was inflammation and infected; he have fever too.

Bern:

Tina, I'm glad you received the text but I'm [financially and emotionally] exhausted… To make matters worse, Ross has just mis-called me [from Manila, needing help ASAP ].

I'm appalled to hear not only that you're still sick but also that Ken has wounds. I wonder how he got them and wonder if the fever is a result.

I promised to ring Ross [a Manila householder facing possible eviction] so I should do it now.

Also I promised to help a friend do  some work, starting about now. But I'll stay in touch.

An hour later Tina texted again: “I hope you received my text: Ken’s antibiotic costs 600.”

Regrettably there was nothing more to be done. I was without sufficient funds to help until Wednesday.

No comments: