Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mel packs to return home from Manila

Manila

Mel is      a  young Filipino man  from a very  poor provincial family     who  has, in recent    years, been attempting to make it in the big city.

While surviving, during the  final examination period, on one meal a day, Mel   succeeded in completing the first year of a computer course at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP).

Funds were insufficient for him to continue at the university, however.

With some assistance Mel undertook, successfully, a coffee-making (barista) course.

Casual employment followed, with Starbucks, Jollibee (the Filipino equivalent of McDonald’s) and then, until now, a McDonald’s fast-food restaurant in Asia’s largest megamall: the Mall of Asia.

Now Mel’s employment with McDonald’s is coming to an end. He had decided to return home to be with his mother and close relatives.

At 12:49 a.m. today Mel used his rooming house mate’s laptop,  to send me a message via Facebook.

Oh Bern, I’m going home tomorrow in the morning.

We can chat when I’m in Magdapio; there's a computer shop there for sure.

I don't wanna waste time and days here in Manila: when I’m in Magdapio I will find [an] internet cafe so we can chat and chat.

I’m sorry we didn't make it to have a chat. When I’m in Magdapio I’ll promise we can chat.

I miss you Bern and thank you for being there always; I love you and goodbye for now, I will need to prepare my stuff for a trip back to Magdapio.

Bye bye

Love

A Young Filipino boy walking his Carabou in Ba...

A boy in Magdapio with a carabao: Image by 333junction via Flickr

No comments: